Monday, October 3, 2011
It's funny how in a matter of days, everything can change!
The end of last week, things got hectic. I had all three of the kids lined up to have Dr.'s appointments last Thur. Aubree a 4-year check-up, Preston a late 18-month check up that we had been behind on & Baylee needed a weight check, because she was had lost 8% body weight when we were discharged.
Aubree had her hearing (passed), vision (didn't do that great), blood pressure, heart rate, heart, lungs, spine, reflexes, height, weight, etc. checked. Turns out she may be anemic - means we got to pump up the iron! But other than that, a very healthy (and tall & thin little 4-year old).
Preston had his height (92nd percentile), weight (79th percentile) & head circumference (82nd percentile) all checked, as well as his ears, heart, lungs, spine, etc. checked out. He is a very healthy 20-month old. The pediatrician talked me into giving him two vaccinations (we don't follow the CDC schedule, so we're a bit behind), so he got his HIB & Prevnar shots (to finish the series) - Boy, what a mistake! If you have an 8-day old... Don't let a Dr. make your toddler a mess with vaccinations. Preston did NOT sleep for almost 24-hours, got a fever, runny nose, etc. Garrick was up all night with him - then the next day, he was falling apart & refused any sort of nap until 4:30pm the following day! Friday was an extremely exhausting day!
Baylee measured in at 6 1/2 pounds - so almost at her birth weight, so she's gaining weight & eating pretty well now. Which is good.
So, also on Friday, I came down with some horrible inner belly button pain, which lasted through the night & into Saturday. So, I booked a Dr.'s appointment for Sat. morning. My Dr. suspected I had an Incarcerated Umbilical Hernia & sent me to the ER to get some testing (telling me I'd most likely need surgery - that day if that's what I had). Of course, I wasn't excited to be spending my Sat. in the ER, but it was what we had to do. So, Garrick & the kids dropped me off at the hospital. I had an ultrasound & also a CT scan - after a few hours of waiting to do the CT scan & get the results, they found out the problem. I was diagnosed with Postpartum Endometritis - I think I may have gotten it because my water didn't break until minutes before she got here. The head Dr. of the ER wanted to set me up to be transported to another hospital with more OBGYN support & to start on aggressive intravenous antibiotics for 24-48 hours, while being monitored, to make sure the infection wouldn't spread.
I hate hospitals & I couldn't leave Baylee, Preston or Aubree for a day, or two... So, I asked if I had any other options. He told me I could sign off all liability of the hospital, that they could give me my first dose of IV antibiotics & that he could write me a prescription for oral antibiotics. So, without much hesitation I went that route. I'm now on 2,000mg of antibiotics for 10 days, so hopefully the infection clears & I can be on my way to doing what I need to do! :)
To top it off, Baylee is now sick with a cold. She's so stuffy & a bit feverish... poor baby! So, we have the warm steam humidifier on, which seems to be helping & of course... she's nursing & resting a lot. I hope it passes quickly. I'm almost certain it's a cold, because Aubree caught it last week, then it trickled down to Preston a few days later & now Baylee has it. It doesn't seem to be too bad, but for a 12-day old, it's never a good thing! Baylee was also scheduled to go to the Radiologist for her VCUG & Ultrasound of her kidney, ureter & bladder today, which unfortunately had to be postponed for next week. I'm anxious to get that testing done... So we can find out the root of the issue with her kidney.
Here's Baylee, sleeping in the indirect sunlight last week :)
Preston, the day after his Dr. appt... runny nose & refusing to be nothing short of the energizer bunny! ;)
I thought a mid-day bath would settle him down... I guess wishful thinking on my part!
And, this is him, always putting his head right up to Baylee's head!
Baylee loves the sunlight!
And, on to her third outfit of the day... little ones mess up a lot of clothes!
Attempt #2 to try to get him to take a nap... An hour of outdoor play. We were hours away from getting a big rain storm, so I figured it'd be a good time to decorate the sidewalk.
I guess this attempt worked better than the bath, because after this he did take a 45 min. nap... success! :)
We live in these "garden" apartments, they're called. Our lease is up in May & I'm dying to get a bigger place - we're currently in a 2-bedroom 850sq foot apartment! This is the most uncomfortable lack of space we have ever had! I think it's one of those growing things though, now we can say we did it... 5 people in 850sq feet! ;)
I guess this is what happens when you move somewhere on short notice!
And, the kids playing in our "backyard" - God bless them... they're always so happy with whatever!
Labels:














Post a Comment