Worm Adventures...

Sunday, March 24, 2013 Posted by Dana J.
So, we had a lot of rain a couple of weeks ago & I'm sure I've mentioned this before on here, but Aubree loves - like, LOVES Earthworms! 

Well, I was taking her to school & because it was so rainy, I drove her and when I pulled into the driveway I saw a couple of worms... But then I noticed more & more... and even more! Like hundreds of worms all over the driveway & street & thought "ohhhhhh!!!! I always remembered seeing worms after a rain! How strange!". Anyway, Garrick was home for lunch, so I went in to get Pres & told him I had a surprise. So, in the rain... we stood for a good 30 min. looking at all those worms! I'm a researcher at heart, so when nap-time came, I looked it all up & yeah... sure enough those little creepy crawlers just loooove the rain & come out when it's moist, to mate! (Interesting fact too!!! Earthworms are Hermaphrodites, so they all have babies!!) So, I figured I might as well gather up my crew & get those earthworms picked up & put in my garden! I'm glad I had Aubree & Preston to do the work! Because, I don't really like touching them! Hahaha! :)

And they do....





I let the kids keep them for the night; and at that point all 86 of them had names... They were pretty much family, you know? But I was thinking of the sole happiness of our beloved pets & told the children that they simply must be released, you know?! ;)
Well... This was a bit more difficult then I had anticipated. There were tears... Yes, actual TEARS from Aubree! She simply did not want to release these worms. It took a bit of convincing & some threatening from Preston (HE would release them himself!!)
And, then it was finalized, Aubree would do the releasing....
Goodbye Maddie! (pictured above - she was an especially tough release!)
Goodbye Trish! (Preston's favorite worm)
Goodbye Andrea!
Goodbye Drew!
Goodbye Joe!
Goodbye Victoria!
Goodbye Laurie!
Goodbye Charlie!
Goodbye Eli!
Goodbye John!
Goodbye LuLu!
Goodbye all you worms... (Name, after name!)
And, Baylee had no idea what the heck was going on! 
She was just a bit mad that she couldn't get into the garden area...
(Everyone always does her dirty!)
 Some of our pets for 16, or so hours...
Hopefully they help my soil!!!! :)

Labels: