Aubree's "Baby"

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 Posted by Dana J.
Okay, so I'm totally not going to pretend that this is cute... or normal, but I'm always up for a good experiment & lately we've been having A LOT!

While digging around in the garden a couple weeks ago, we unearthed this maggot looking like 'thing'. Aubree believes with all her little heart that it's a Caterpillar & that it's going to turn into a BEAUTIFUL Butterfly. I've told her many times that I do not think that's the case, but even so I was interested to find out if this was a bug larvae, or what?? So we poked some tiny holes in a small jar & have been patiently waiting for it to change into something... although nothing is happening!!

Aubree proudly says this is her "baby" & likes to carry the jar around. She also insisted that we put some leaves in there because, she says caterpillars like to eat leaves. The larvae thing is NOT eating the leaves... But, I think this is a step in the right direction for the kids to embrace bugs, insects, weird white worm, things(?)... I don't want them to be fearful like me! 

Look at this proud Mama! :)

I was close to putting a close-up picture of this critter, but decided not to freak anyone out...
You're welcome.

We also had another experiment gone bad. We found a loose leave with, what looked to be 4 big egg sacs on it, so I told the kids that we were going to see what bug comes from these eggs... totally thinking we'd get FOUR bugs. So, again.... we took a jar, popped a few tiny holes on the lid & set it on the deck. Well, a week, or so later... out comes hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of tiny little SPIDERS!! Of course the tiny holes were big enough to let almost ALL the spiders out & they all started making their little webs - everywhere. Kind of reminded me of the last scene in Charlotte's Web. Anyway, it conveniently happened just as Garrick & his brother Eric were outside, enjoying the evening with a couple of beers.

I think I am done with experiments for a little while! But, I'll let Aubree keep her "baby" a little longer...

I feel like I have to end this with a cuter picture...
This was a nice little, friendly ladybug that hung out with Aubree & I for awhile outside... Of course, Aubree doesn't suggest this guy becoming her "baby"...

Labels: