The Calm....

Monday, August 29, 2011 Posted by Dana J.
..After the storm! ;)

Well, we survived the great Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene of 2011! :) I know I shouldn't make light of it, I heard on the news this morning that 26 lives were taken - some very tragic & some just very unfortunate & preventable, the saddest (to me) was the little 11 year old boy, who was in his house when I tree toppled down on it... That was my biggest fear on Saturday night, putting the kids to bed; the hurricane was due to pass over us all through the night with 65mph winds.... But all was good, even though there is quite a bit of damage in the surrounding areas.

I do have to say, this was my first hurricane... and it was pretty incredible (even though it was very minor). The trees were bending and swaying & the clouds overhead were moving so fast & in all different directions - the windy, howling noises were pretty crazy too! I did enjoy it, but what I enjoy more is TODAY! It's like the most picture-perfect, beautiful, CLEAR BLUE, crisp day! The breeze just feels heavenly!

Today... with the breeze and the sun & the windows open... It's renewed me & all day today has been really good! This is a pretty typical morning for us, but it feels more cheery than usual with all this sun!

Our morning in pictures...









 My little preschooler - always wanting to do some sort of activity
(here she is circling all the hidden numbers... Isn't she doing good??)

Okay.... so, this is my NEW toy!!! I have my kids & I have my hobbies - this is my NEW hobby! I think it's important for everyone to have some type hobby. Obviously, I have my photography which I absolutely adore, I love my blogging & I'm REALLY taking a liking to sewing now! It started a few months ago, I started looking into the types of synthetic fabrics children's clothing & bedding are made of & I didn't like it! It was then that I wished I had a sewing machine, so I could start making the kids 100% cotton bedding & clothing (organic when feasible).

However, I thought that was out of the question & considering the fact that I had only touched a sewing machine a handful of times when I was in the single digits (mostly in my Grandmother's basement on trips to Sweden), and also the fact that it was something that wasn't really necessary (especially when I have a new project on her way - one who will definitely consume a lot of my time!).

But then I started catching up with an old friend via email (Jamie) & she told me she was sewing her kids Halloween costumes for the second time this year (awesome, huh?). What's interesting with Jamie is I met her in Sacramento. We had both just had our first daughters (Aubree a month before her daughter), and then we both had our sons around the same time (her son just a month before Preston - no joke) & now we're both pregnant AGAIN with our thirds... pretty cool, huh?

Anyway, her saying that turned my candle into a bomb fire & once I get going on an idea... there's no stopping me (pretty sad, huh?). So after a good week of pestering Garrick with my NEED for a sewing machine & pleading my case that I would do, oh so many crafts with it - I researched & bugged him enough until he finally agreed (this is also how I got my camera). So, thank you Garrick.... I LOVE it!! It came in the mail on Thursday & that evening I went to the fabric store & Friday I got busy & made some things! It came very easy for me... Thank God!

So, here's a ruffled skirt I made (my first project), it took me a few hours (with about a 100 interruptions!) & Aubree loves it! :)
 And my second project (which I winged - no pattern). It's still not complete. I want to get a similar blue colored ribbon to attach in the middle. My plan is to possibly make some cloth diapers for new baby & also some nighttime cloth pull-ups for Preston. I'm also working on a nursing cover, a couple gifts for friends & oh... I'll share later the things I do, I don't want to give away anything - I'm going to see a friend this weekend & told her I was attempting to work on something for her little boy - so.... I'll make another post, next week! :)
 And... a current one from today - I'll be 35 weeks on Wed., or Sun., I have those two due dates, but I'm going off the 10/4 one. I'm feeling big... I think she's in birthing position, because I swear on Saturday I was so uncomfortable, I felt myself waddling around & I have always considered myself to be a non-waddler! Can't believe we'll be meeting this new addition SOON!!!

Labels: