Midsummer!

Sunday, June 26, 2011 Posted by Dana J.
I love my Swedish heritage... and, ever since our move to New Jersey - I can not get over how much the "country" part of the North East reminds me of my summers in South Sweden. Of course, our summer so far in NJ has been pretty mild... so, it may not always remind me of Sweden - but the cool breeze, the smells, the lush abundance of trees, the sounds of chirping birds, the little bit of dewy humidity that gives you the feel of moisture everywhere, the longer days (sun starts rising around 5am & by 5:30am the sun can make you feel like it's 10am... It all takes me back to those beloved memories I had as a child. So much so, that I have even dug into baking my Grandma Siggi's wonderful cardamon filled "Cinderelle rolls" & Swedish meatballs. I love the lingonberries & everything Swedish right now.

Sweden is known for their short, bright summers - they celebrate the longest day of the year, called Midsummer (where the sun barely sets), and the day is filled with folklore, music, laughter, dancing around a maypole, girls in summer dresses, flower wreaths, light herring snacking, some sort of broiled fish & the fresh picked summer strawberries with homemade whipped cream - plus, a pretty decent assortment of beer & schnapps. The partying usually goes well into the night.

It was usually my sister Natalie & I who would join in on the festivities of decorating the Maypole with the other Swedish children... and also joining in on the dancing. I wish I had pictures to share of Natalie & I in our midsummer attire (but those are all back in CA). Anyway... all these Swedish thoughts I have been having, made me research Swedish, or Scandinavian heritage groups in the area. I happened to find a Swedish village, just 32 miles west of us who was putting on their 23th annual Midsummer celebration. I told Garrick that we had to take the kids - as I'm sure most of you all know, both Garrick's Father & my Father were born abroad (Garrick's Dad from Iran & obviously, my Dad from Sweden), we make plenty of Persian stews & whatnot and I'd like both Aubree & Preston to know all of these traditions of their heritages - whatever we can share with them.

So, we headed out to Budd Lake, NJ for the day yesterday & had a fun time! Aubree & I made her a flower wreath and of course we also played, danced, ate & talked with the Scandinavian locals. All in all - a good day, as I had expected! :)












Labels: